August 12, 2008

Guitar Afternoon

Today was quite a momentous day ... Liam's first kindergarten photos, first outing on-masse with his class, and a first bus ride. We set off in the drizzling rain, spirits not dampened to go to a nearby farm and help plant a reserve of native trees. Quite frankly, I had an impending sense of doom when I realised I had neglected to inform Liam that we had to go to the kindergarten first to catch the bus to the farm. Do you think I could get him out of the car?! Thinking quickly, I suggested we ask the teacher for directions on how to get to there. Hurdle #1 cleared. Ten seconds to meltdown averted.

Mind you, it had also been arranged to have class photos taken prior to hopping on the bus, but ..... (yes) I had also neglected to inform Liam that this was on the cards and no manner of coercing could get him to join in. The day appeared to start to crumble before me ... until I checked myself and realised this was Liam's day and he was only waiting as patiently as possible for his farm outing to begin.

Did we enjoy ourselves getting wet and muddy in the grotty rain, while digging holes with toy spades and squishing in lots of little saplings ? You betcha!

Trees planted by Mum: The creaking back says lots.

Trees planted by Liam: up for debate

...... but mum was more than happy to be serenaded by a happy and laughing little boy content with air-guitaring his spade. After all the world is a stage.... and mum simply hasn't got her act together yet!

No comments: